BLANK

 

         
         

The following page provides a range of photos of Victoria's
Ambulances that have been restored.

 

 
 

1887

Ambulance Services were initially introduced to Victoria by the Victorian Division of St John Ambulance Association. In 1887, following a fundraising campaign, 6 specially designed Ashford Litter Ambulances were purchased from London.   The litter’s featured 2 large wheels with elliptical springs, four legs to support the litter when parked, which folded up to form handles for pushing the litter long.

One of Victoria's original Ashford Litters has been restored (pictured) and is located at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshop.

 
 
 

1926 Series 126 Dodge

The Series 126 Dodge operated with the Victorian Ambulance Service from 1926 in Melbourne and Country regions.

This Series 126 Dodge is Yarram's original 1926 Dodge Ambulance which served the local community for many years initially as an Ambulance and then for many years as a laundry truck.  It was found in appalling condition in the early 1970's and restored back to it's original condition over the next 10 years.

It is now Victoria's oldest restored motor Ambulance and is privately owned in Bendigo.

 
 
 

1957 Mainline

The Ford Mainline was introduced into Victorian Ambulance service in 1952 until 1958 when Ford ceased production of the Mainline.

This restored 1957 Ford Mainline operated by the North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service as part of the Snowy Mountain Scheme, is now on loan to the Victorian Ambulance Historical Society, being stored at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshops. 

 
 
 

1963 Ford F-100

The Ford F Series has been the mainstay of Victoria's Emergency Ambulances since 1960.

This vehicle operated by the Glenelg District Ambulance Service is privately owned and is now stored at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshop.

 
 
 

1965 Studebaker Cruiser

The Studebaker Cruiser was operated by Country Regions in Victoria from 1964 as a low cost patient transport vehicle for long distance transfers.

This 1964 Studebaker is privately owned.

 
 
 

1968 Ford ZB Fairlane

The Ford ZB Fairlane was operated by Country Regions in Victoria from 1963 as a low cost patient transport vehicle for long distance transfers.

This 1968 Fairlane was restored and is now on loan to the Victorian Ambulance Historical Society, being stored at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshop.

 
 
 

1974 HQ Holden

The HQ Holden was used by the Victorian Ambulance Service as a low cost patient transport vehicle for long distance transports.

This restored 1974 HQ Holden operated by the Melbourne Region, is on loan to the Victorian Ambulance Historical Society and is stored at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshop.

 

 
 
 

1982 WB Holden

The WB Holden was the last of the Holden utes to be used by the Victorian Ambulance Service. 

This one was operated by the Alexandra & District Ambulance Service remains with the Service at Alexandra for it's historic value.

 
 
 

1988 Ford F-100

The Ford F Series has been the mainstay of Victoria's Emergency Ambulances since 1960.

This 1988 Ford F-100 has been donated to the Victorian Ambulance Historical Society by Rural Ambulance Victoria, and is stored at the South Melbourne Ambulance Workshops.

 
 
 

Click Here to Return to the Pictorial Ambulance History Page

 
 

Station  History

Station Vehicles

Home Page

Station Construction

Station Staff

         

Station Equipment

 Accident Photos

Kids Page

Ambulance Photos

Other Links

         

 

 

Index