BLANK

 

         
         

The following page provides a range of photos of the
Victoria's first motorised Ambulance 

 

 
 

On the 25th October 1910, Melbourne’s Ambulance Service still operated by Fiske Brothers under contract with St John Ambulance purchased it's first motorised Ambulance, due to the increasing workload. This 2 cylinder 10-14 horsepower Renault was purchased from Kellow Motors for £400.   Known as the 'Lady Carmicheal' after the wife of the Governor of the day (Sir Thomas Gibson-Carmicheal), who christened it in a ceremony at the Melbourne Town Hall.   In it's first 6 months of Service, the 'Lady Carmicheal' attended 694 calls travelling 11,894 kilometers.

 
 

Melbourne's Renault
 

Internal view of the Renault with
Superintendent H A Osgood-Cannon front left

 

 

 
 
Click Here to Return to the Pictorial Ambulance History Page
 
Click Here to Return to the 1901-1910 Page
 
 
 

Station  History

Station Vehicles

Home Page

Station Construction

Station Staff

         

Station Equipment

 Accident Photos

Kids Page

Ambulance Photos

Other Links

         

 

 

Index