BLANK

 

         
         

The following page provides a range of photos of the
Ashford Litter introduced into Victorian 
Ambulance Service in 1887

 

 
 

Ambulance Services were initially introduced to Victoria by the Victorian Division of St John Ambulance Association. In 1887, following a fundraising campaign, 6 specially designed Ashford Litter Ambulances were purchased from London.   The litter’s featured 2 large wheels with elliptical springs, four legs to support the litter when parked, which folded up to form handles for pushing the litter long.

Four litters were initially stationed at Police Stations around Melbourne (Russell St, Bourke St, King St & West Melbourne Stations), and operated with limited success by on duty Police Officers. An additional litter was stored also stored at the Melbourne Town Hall in Swanston St.  A final Litter was placed at the Eastern Hill Fire Station operated by Firefighters who trained in a range of first aid skills and are considered to be Victoria’s first true ‘Ambulance Officers’.

A number of country areas also used Ashford Litters, but due to distances, their use was limited to major towns.

 

Melbourne's Ashford Litter

Warrnambool's Ashford Litter

 

 

 

 

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter
 

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter

 

 

 

 

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter
 
 

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter

 

 

 

 

Melbourne's restored Ashford Litter
 
 

 
 
Click Here to Return to the Pictorial Ambulance History Page
 
Click Here to Return to the 1880-1900 Page
 
 
 

Station  History

Station Vehicles

Home Page

Station Construction

Station Staff

         

Station Equipment

 Accident Photos

Kids Page

Ambulance Photos

Other Links

         

 

 

Index